The Institute of Education at National Research University – Higher School of Economics (Moscow), China Institute for Educational Finance Research and Graduate School of Education at Peking University invite earlier career researchers and doctoral students to apply to the upcoming 5th International Summer School on higher education research that takes place June 10-16, 2017 in St. Petersburg, Russia. The theme of this year is “Higher education and social inequality”.
V International Summer School will focus on the inequalities in higher education as well as the problematisation of the role of higher education in reproducing social inequalities. Participation in higher education has been increasing rapidly over last decades, but social equity has not been achieved. Numerous studies around the world show persistent inequalities in access and participation in higher education shaped by social background. Gains in widening access, especially in systems with high participation rates, are undermined by the increasing stratification of higher education institutions and societies. These challenges call for re-thinking, conceptually and socio-politically, the role higher education has in a modern society.
Summer School faculty and participants will discuss:
- key conceptual approaches to the analysis of the relationships between higher education and social inequality (including regional, gender and other inequalities; its global dimension);
- the roles of the state, society and markets in shaping social inequalities and stratification of higher education systems;
- various national models for addressing inequalities in society and education;
- under which conditions higher education can make a difference in equalizing social opportunities;
- higher education’s contribution to social solidarity and social wellbeing.
Confirmed faculty of the Summer School: Isak Froumin (Institute of Education, HSE), Simon Marginson (Institute of Education, UCL), Pedro Teixeira (University of Porto), Jussi Välimaa (University of Jyvaskyla), Po Yang (Peking University).
The deadline for applications is March 5, 2017.