The University of the Free State (UFS) invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for a postdoctoral fellowship in the Directorate for Institutional Research and Academic Planning (DIRAP). Candidates interested in pursuing an academic or professional career in higher education, institutional research, student affairs, or higher education management, are especially encouraged to apply.
The fellow will participate in conceptualising a new research project into the institutional culture and student experience at the UFS. Ideally, the Postdoctoral Research Fellow will have an interest and expertise in higher education studies or a related discipline such as educational management, diversity studies, historical studies, political science, public management, sociology or social psychology. The fellowship will enable an outstanding doctoral graduate to obtain experience of research and innovation at a higher education institution under the mentorship of established researchers, collaborate with colleagues in other academic units including the UFS Institute for Reconciliation and Social Justice (IRSJ) and the School of Higher Education Studies (SHES).
- Open to all South African and foreign nationals
- Graduated with a PhD degree in a relevant discipline within the last five years
- Successful applicants may not hold full-time salaried employment during the fellowship (but may engage in up to 12 hours approved part-time salaried employment per week)
- Successful applicants must be able to relocate to the UFS for the duration of the fellowship. This is a residential fellowship: the successful applicant is required to spend 80% of her/his postdoctoral period at the UFS.
- Participate in conceptualizing and conducting innovative research into the institutional culture and the student and staff experience at the UFS
- Author/co-author at least three publication outputs per year in the form of DHET–accredited scholarly journal articles or books/chapters in books
- Register and reside as postdoctoral fellow at the UFS and participate in relevant activities of DIRAP and related units including the IRSJ, SHES, School of Postgraduate Studies and the Department of Research Development
Optional task (depending on the fellow’s interests)
- Co-supervision of postgraduate students
- Co-writing of funding proposals
- Participation in the editorial management of scholarly publications
- Presentation of papers at relevant local and international scholarly conferences
- Presentation at seminars and workshops organised by DIRAP and/or relevant UFS units